Monday, October 29, 2012

Weekend gaming round up














Well what can I say about this weekend? It really was a perfect example of the best and worst kinds of players you can meet in war gaming. I guess I'll start with my game on Friday night. 2000 points at my local GW; I ended up playing a Daemon player and I knew that this was going to be a frustrating experience. Now I have nothing against playing strong lists. I love the game enough I will take 1000 loses as long as both sides are bloody and ridiculous things happen. A Hail-Mary charge with A Space Marine Captain into the open arms of a Bloodthirster is the only way to play this game. But I understand the tournament mentality. You want to put forward the best possible list and compete. I understand that. But what I don't understand is when you completely sacrifice competitiveness for fun.    
At least he let me deploy! 

My opponents list was simple 
2000 Pts - Chaos Daemons Roster

HQ: Lord of Change (1#, 365
   6 Flamers of Tzeentch, 138 pts 
   6 Flamers of Tzeentch, 138 pts 
 Flamers of Tzeentch ( 212 
   8 Flamers of Tzeentch, 212 
      1 Pyrocaster (Character)
 Screamers of Tzeentch (9#, 225 pts)
   9 Screamers of Tzeentch, 225 pts (Jetbike; S: Lamprey's Bite; S: Slashing Attack; S: 
   1 Daemon Prince of Chaos, 270 pts 
Heavy Support: Daemon Prince of Chaos (1#, 270 pts)
Heavy Support: Daemon Prince of Chaos (1#, 270 pts)
Troops: Pink Horrors of Tzeentch 170 pts)
   10 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch, 
Troops: Pink Horrors of Tzeentch 215 pts)
   9 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch, 215 pts 
      1 The Changeling




He plopped this on the table and all I just wanted to walk out. This isn’t fun to play against! This is a list mathematically designed to make him feel good by winning. In a casual environment if you bring this you are an unfathomable asshole. It's rude to assume because you made the tough as nails list to assume other people will do so. If we had paid $60.00 to play I wouldn’t bat an eye at this list. I lost this game on turn 1 when my Librarian perils on casting Null zone. Throw in some blood letters or daemonettes you jag! Make the game exciting!  

I was pretty bummed after this game. But then a player and a gentleman arrived with a steel clad army of undead robots that was exactly what Warhammer armies should be!
It's blurry but this army was awesome!  

This game was so much fun I am still giddy about it. My Crimson Fists against a horde of Necrons! The army wasn’t finished being painted but it looked good with the ice blue details over steel bodies. I can’t remember the army competition as most of the models looked the same but it had a few immortals, warriors. Scarabs and wraiths.
There are a lot of highlights in this game. One 5 man terminator squad made about 45 saves on turns one. All of the we’ll be back rolls were on fire; I just could not keep the Necrons down!

1 in 1,000,000 shot! 
Despite a strong first few turns my line came unglued under the Necron pressure. I committed both combat squads of Terminators to a prolonged melee in the center of the board and ignored the objective. My Captain fought a Necron Overlord for 4 rounds and emerged victorious but with only 1 wound to show for it and an Iron-armed Librarian was picked off by scarabs. I even had a plasma cannon scatter back onto itself!

The guy with the plasma gun killed himself later on. 
 The result was a 4-2 win for the Necrons. But the game was so fun I could hardly care; which is the moral of the story this weekend. The result doesn’t matter when the game is interesting. We both had an even chance right up until the end of the game. His list wasn’t bad; In fact I think his list would have made a very good showing against the daemons from Friday. But it all came down to attitude. He wanted to have a good time and make toy soldiers die.  

So that was my weekend. In other news there is a 1500 point tournament next month in Calgary. I think I am going to attend but I haven’t decided on a list yet. I am going to try and do a second post this week. I have 4 articles drafted but I need to finish them. 

2 comments:

  1. i would hardly call that guy's daemon list highly optimized....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. Maybe not 100% optimized but Bell of Lost souls is examining a similar list and it's affect on the Feast Of Blades.

    ReplyDelete